Wednesday, June 06, 2007

So, yeah ... snakes.

I've been out working on the turkey pen all day and clearing the area where I'm putting the horse* barn**.

I went in to check my email and popped back out to put up the gate on the cage before Evil Genius Husband had to go get the comics. As I'm passing by the pigeon pen guess what i saw?


Snake #2! A bit bigger, a bit longer, and definitely not happy about being caught.

He also had a big wide head. Handsome fellow!


No problem. Two days. Two snakes. It happens.

So I dropped him in a pillowcase (after showing him to the babies - who loved it) and toted him back up to the shed to await relocation. I stepped into my shop, part of which is the interior of the pigeon pen (where they roost and nest), and I damned near stepped on another snake!

I kid you not.

This bloke was at least a foot or so longer than #2 and v. v. unhappy about being nabbed. I had the bagged snake in one hand (hadn't tied the pillowcase yet!) and the big honker by the tail with the other. I tried dropping #3 into an empty 33 gallon trashcan. He just reached right up and slithered out.

Finally I tried holding #2's bag closed with my knee and grabbing #3 behind the head. He was bloody quick to disagree with my proposal:


Finally I just walked back down to the house and in the back door holding #3 by the tail (with my arm all the way over my head - he was that long) and yelling for another pillowcase.

Here's EGH, professional snake bagger:

So how was your day?

-----

* It's a maddening wee pony.
** It's a wee shed for a maddening wee pony.


Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...eeeew! I'm not at all fond of snakes in general in real life - I don't mind pictures of them, though, so was facinated by these posts.

What KIND of snakes are these? And are you going to need to amputate that hand?

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

a wee pony! that's awesome! pictures???

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Sassy, there're pics of Izzy the pony (and the pigs, too) here.

Mrs. C, have no fear! Those are all common Black Rat Snakes (I call them chicken snakes) [some call 'em Kaiser blades, I call 'em sling blades ...] and their bite is not as bad as a cat's. It really itched more than it hurt. Kind of like if you'd gotten into briars. :)

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Funnygirl said...

Yuk, snakes! I would have had a heart attack if I touched it. Farmer's daughter here, so I've seen plenty of them . . . but they still freak me out.
Lyricalb

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm My day was snake free :)

That sure was a day. I have never liked snakes, because where I grew up we had Copperheads. And I want to move somewhere they have Rattle snakes.

Just make sure you don't use those pillows to take a nap.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from California, I have encountered a rattle snake or two, but I would not have liked seeing so many snakes in one day and definitely wouldn't have liked being bitten by one!

My grandmother was a farmer too, but she had a phobia towards snakes, and we used to freak her out with the fake rubber ones. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home