Monday, February 20, 2006

A loss and an acquisition

Well, after 2 days of being fed via stomach tube, the MicroBuck gave up the fight. The MicroDoe, however, has gotten so strong as to resist tubing. But she won't take the bottle either. After careful observation I've concluded that Brownie is actually feeding her - at least a little bit.
So we're keeping mother and daughter in the adoption pen for now and have a light on them for warmth. Brownie is already getting used to not having to jostle for food and the MicroDoe was nibbling at hay strands yesterday so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Here's a pic of the adoption pen:

The head stanchion is on the left with a feed box, hay rack and - you can just see it there closest to the gate - a water pail. I found a flaw immediately when I put Brownie in: she's so small that she can get out of the stanchion. I'll have to work on remedying that.

----

I am now the proud owner of 22 Red Carneau pigeons:



I braved a trip through Lexington to get them from a gent in Swansea who breeds them for show. He was culling these because of the white feathers they exhibit. It's not breed standard and comes from a cross with the White Carneau. You can just see it in this pic:



He claims that they will breed true to standard and produce some correct reds. I got them simply because I wanted some pigeons but now I'm toying with the idea of actually breeding these. Anybody have any experience with this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home